Skip to main content

General Consensus


Postmodern Perspectives . . .

General Consensus 

There needs to be more about general consensus in postmodern discourse. From a postmodern perspective, that denounces the idea of objectivity, I have come to use the concept of general consensus as a way to acknowledge a kind of pseudo structure that binds our individual relative existences together. For me, explicitly acknowledging the existence of constructed structure helps me get my head around the idea that there is no inherent structure. 

This is the conceptualization I use to position myself as a professional therapist in a therapeutic setting. I work with people to unpack and explore their expectations from all levels of social existence; in pursuit of a more preferable consensus understanding of one’s self and the environment around them. 

Sometimes I think about the relationship between the terms consensus and congruence. From a strictly definitive standpoint they are synonymous, but I use applied meaning to differentiate. 

For me, congruence is a state of positive affirmation of the inner self and the environment around. There is a value judgment that the elements of being are correct and as they should be. Consensus is the acknowledgment and agreement that the self and environment are as they are, with no applied value judgment for the self or environment. One can exist in a state of consensus agreement on the way things are and also be in a stare of incongruence with how the “should” be. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suggestion

Postmodern Perspectives . . . Suggestion I’m often slow to offer suggestion inside the therapy room because I feel it’s disempowering to a client to offer my  solution options  instead of helping them to grow and strengthen their own ideas. However, sometimes  I feel that the situation does require me to insert something directly into the conversation. A way to do this, that I have become comfortable with, is to present an idea from a second hand perspective. I then immediately switch to a line of questioning that prompts the client to explore that option from their own perspective, morphing it into their own. An example might be:        In my work with other folks, I have heard of        _________________ being tried in this scenario. How might _________________ look or play out in your situation?  This approach keeps the client empowered to put their personal narrative into the suggested solution option. 

Love Languages

Postmodern Perspectives . . . Love Languages - Making a distinction between the modern view and the postmodern view. Modern - There are five love languages that are waiting for you to identify with. Postmodern - There are infinite love languages and yours is waiting to be constructed.

Theory of Change

Postmodern perspectives. . .  Theory of Change It’s important to remember that everything has been made up and constructed because that is what gives us the power to change it.